Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Days of Summer...

Well, my baby boy turned 18 yesterday. We celebrated in our traditional way. A small family party on the back porch. David had two friends there ... his cousin, Ariana, stopped by as did Robin, the boy's surrogate mom. Tully and I grilled burgers and salmon and made David's favorite cake. It was a sweet night filled with great fun and dear memories. We measured David's height on the permanent measuring wall in the kitchen...another fun tradition.

David is playing football this year and has been practicing in the brutal heat of the valley. Yipes! Tully and I attended the Open House of his school's new location. It was lovely and good to see familiar faces. Seems summer is trying to wrap itself up. I will begin press on the book in September. I'll let you know when to watch or show up. 18. Hmmm...

One of the gentler moments of the evening when the boys and I sat together to send Rob a video birthday greeting. Rob is Robin's eldest son. His truck hit an IED in Afghanistan last week. He's been hospitalized with a badly broken foot and a concussion. We've been very concerned about him. It was a very moving moment.

11 comments:

  1. I can't believe he's 18! I still remember the day in high school when I was home sick from school, and as a treat, my mother bought me your People magazine with you and baby David on the cover. I think I still have it!

    Your family party sounds so sweet... has David grown taller since last year? Boys tend to for a while!

    Can't wait to hear about the press tour!

    xo Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just saw the part about Rob... I'm so sorry to hear that. Can we send him a message too? Either way, please tell him your fans send their support as well! Please keep us posted about him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 18.. wow, your baby is a man now...
    Sorry about Rob, hope he´s okay.

    Can´t wait to read your next book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, time sure does fly. I was just sitting here watching my youngest, who is 18 months, and was kind of sadden to realize that he's quickly changing from baby to little boy. I've always felt the hardest part of being a parent is watching your children grow and become independent...of course, that's the most rewarding part too. Glad David had a such a nice birthday. And prayers going up for Rob and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David's Birthday sounds lovely, 18 is such a big age. So sorry to hear about Rob, prayers for him, Robin, and the collective family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your update Deidre, we have missed your funny comments and touchy stories....
    So good to hear from you and that you have enjoyed your family time!!!
    I hope Rob will recover quick!
    I'm looking forward to your next book...
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 18th Birthday David! Good luck to your football team. I can't WAIT for football season to start. I'm a HUGE University of Tennessee fan. GO VOLS!
    Hope that Tully has a great year at school. Study HARD!
    Can't wait for the press tour and the next book.
    Sending prayers out to Rob, his entire family and all of the soldiers.
    Thanks for all you do and BE WELL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great to hear from you! Happy Birthday to David! It is hard to believe that he is 18..where has the time gone=(
    Look forward to hearing about the book tour=)
    Saying a prayer for Rob and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So great to hear from you, we have missed you!! Like i said on FB i cant believe David is 18, i remembered him as a cute little toddler wearing overalls :)Its gone so fast...I hope he had a great day/night, the evening you planned sounded like a wonderful time D! Thinking of Rob :)
    A xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to hear from you Dee, we miss you alot on the forum.

    It is so amazing that David is 18, I remember when the story broke and the amazing pictures on People Magazine and how happy we all were for you!!!

    Rob will be in my prayers for sure!!! I pray he will come home healed and whole soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you were able to have a wonderful birthday night with your son and loved ones. Remebering how your journey to have children began, David turning 18 must seem so big I would think..oh the gifts of life, hey.:) I'm so sorry to hear about Rob, but so thankful that he is relatively ok. Will be get to come home now due to his injuries? Sending lot's of love and prayers his way and yours.
    Lots of love,
    Destiny

    ReplyDelete